Recent research shows that savings for every dollar spent on a workplace wellness program ranges from $1.65 – $4.00.
Here are some of the reasons wellness programs are so effective, according to health.gov:
– Healthy, active employees incur lower health costs. Several studies have reported a return on investment of between $1.65 and $4.00 for every dollar spent on a wellness program.
– Employees who take advantage of wellness are more productive. Research in adults shows a correlation between physical activity and cognitive benefits in the workplace. These studies have repeatedly found improved memory and focus.
– Wellness programs inspire important behavioral changes. Research suggests that the lasting benefits of employee wellness programs include improvements in physical activity, better food choices, and reduction in body weight. Exercise and a healthy diet have been associated with lower risks for many chronic diseases.
Additionally, a well-designed wellness program can impact a group that participates in a captive health insurance program in two ways:
– A wellness program is a great cost containment strategy. Individual groups that utilize a wellness program can save money on everyday claims, as well as have a possible impact on shock claims.
– Captive participants with a strong wellness program reduce the risk to the captive, which results in lower stop loss renewals.
In January 2013, Roundstone introduced a strategically designed, comprehensive wellness program that includes annual biometric screenings, quarterly health assessments, a weight management program, a personal trainer, wellness and diet education, and a support system to help reach personal goals. Practicing what we preach, over the past 12 months Roundstone has had approximately:
– 65% participation in biometric screening and/or quarterly biometric assessments
– 40% participation use of our in-house workout facility and personal trainer
– 67% of our employees that participated in quarterly screening lost body fat
– 100% participation in wellness and diet education
Our small investments in wellness have made a big impact on the health and wellbeing of our employees, plus has assisted with recruitment and retention. Success with our wellness program serves as a firsthand example of how a small business can benefit exponentially from implementing a wellness program.